SARNIA – June 1st, 2020 marks the start of a new chapter.
For close to two years, I’ve worked towards covering both Men’s and Women’s Basketball at both the U Sports and CCAA levels to the best of my abilities. There have been some success stories with the coverage, like the social media Player of the Year fan votes at the end of each season. With the success stories, there have been some missed opportunities along the way, like two failed attempts at previewing each team from coast to coast (sorry about that).
The one thing that has remained consistent throughout is the passion to showcase the players, coaches, and programs as much as one possibly can, as the level of attention and admiration is long overdue for Canadian collegiate basketball.
While June 1st marks the start of a new chapter, the goal remains the same as it was on day one back in August 2018. However, things will move forward under a new name, one that is easier to explain to others and ties everything together quite nicely.
The ‘College Court Report’ and ‘College Court Report Canada’ brands are no longer. It was a good run, but it’s time to shift in a different direction, one that captures everything that I’ve been working towards over the last two years.
With that, I’m thrilled to announce that College Court Report Canada will now be known as Four Quarters Media.
Four Quarters Media is your No. 1 independent outlet for news, headlines, rankings, recruits, podcasts, and more surrounding U Sports and CCAA Men’s and Women’s Basketball.
It’s a bittersweet day, as the College Court Report brand has lived on for more than six years and has grown to heights that I never thought possible. But, with the cancellation of the original CCR outlet back in December 2018, one that covered Men’s Basketball at the NCAA level, the story behind College Court Report Canada and its name became too confusing. It was tough to explain what it was all about, and didn’t align with other offerings, such as The Four Quarters Podcast.
So, what does this mean for the coverage of Men’s and Women’s basketball in both U Sports and the CCAA? It means that I’m more committed than ever to provide the student-athletes, coaches, and programs with the level of coverage they deserve.
Here’s a quick look at a few things that are coming up with the coverage:
- The podcast will still run every Monday (CCAA) and Thursday (U Sports), and we’re booked with guests halfway through July already. You can listen on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, iHeartRadio, or wherever you get your podcasts.
- A third attempt at a Season Preview for every team will begin on August 3rd (fingers crossed this year is the year…). A mix of Audio Previews (podcast episodes) and Written Previews should help to alleviate some of the pressure instead of having to write every single one.
- The CCAA Recruiting list will be updated on a regular basis to ensure everyone knows who is going where from coast to coast.
- More stories will be added to the website, from regular news headlines such as Recruit Announcements and Schedule/COVID-19 Updates to Feature Stories and Opinion Pieces.
- There will be more engagement on social media, from Questions and Polls on Instagram to different graphics and videos on all three platforms (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter).
- Other projects are in the works that will shed some more light on Women’s Basketball in Canada, plus add some help to the Four Quarters Media roster that will allow for students to apply what they learn in the classroom and build a resume of their own at the same time. Be on the lookout for those announcements soon.
Lastly, I want to thank everyone who has supported the outlet without resistance from day one back on August 1st, 2018. The last two years have been nothing short of fantastic, and if I’ve learned anything, it’s that there’s an appetite for consistent, high-level coverage surrounding collegiate basketball in Canada. I’m honoured to play a small part in shedding some light on every player, team, and coach from coast-to-coast.
Be sure to like and/or follow Four Quarters Media on all social media platforms (links below), and bookmark fourquartersmedia.net to keep up to date with everything we’ve got going on.
- Tyler Bennett